Why Blog?

I have always admired those who take time to offer thoughts and advice through blogging. And I have learned so much through their words and have often been encouraged. With three girls, working on the family dairy farm, a passion for youth ministry, I find it difficult to find something just for me. I have had a journal for all of my adult life, and find writing very therapeutic, so why not. I don't know if my words will have an impact on anyone, or teach anyone anything. But I will be satisfied knowing that I am taking some time out for me. This is my great escape.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hurry Up...

HURRY UP!

Those two words probably come out of my mouth WAY too often. Hurry up is what I tell the kids as they get ready for school, eat their breakfast and brush their teeth. Hurry up is what I say as they are getting ready for bed, or when we are getting ready to go somewhere. Hurry up is what I say to my husband when I want to get the chores done at the barn because inside my head I am telling myself to hurry up because of the dishes that need washed, the laundry that needs folded, the dusting that needs done, the floors that need mopped, the bread that needs made. HURRY UP!

Well, I really need to hurry up and stop saying that so often. I mean, really, what am I in such a hurry for?!?  I guess the reason that it is so present in my mind right now is because tonight, as the girls and I were reading scripture, I uttered those words, to hurry up, pay attention, settle down. Great way to enter the word, huh?! Yeah.... maybe not so much. I apologized to them, telling them that our time in scripture is so important and it shouldn't be rushed. (Especially when you have girls like mine who LOVE to hear the stories of Jesus, or read how it all started in Genesis, or about how moses was found... you want me to hurry up and move on, don't ya!) I shouldn't rush their questions, their curiosity, their love story with Christ. I only have these little girlies for a short time before they stand on their own. And let me tell you the time is F L Y I N G!  I believe I will never have the time to teach them everything I feel I want or maybe even should.

I am very thankful that no matter how much of a hurry I am in that God never tells me to hurry up and be perfect. Hurry up and memorize the entire bible, today, in an hour! Unlike how I expect my kids to do so much in an hour. (and how I generally want God to hurry up and let me know what it is He is up to!!)

Instead, He does tell me to:
 
"Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." ~Psalm 46:10
 
"Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need , and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience the peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard our hearts and minds as you live for Christ Jesus." ~Philippians 4:6&7
 
"Jesus replies, 'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself.'" ~Matthew 22:37&38

I love how no matter how much of a hurry I am to want an answer, direction, love...God is always on time.

Praise Him \0/

1 comment: